We’ve all been there before– you want to run. You want to exercise. You want to get motivated.
…but you just can’t. Maybe it’s been awhile since you last ran, or maybe you’re stuck in a mental rut.
Whatever the reason is, don’t despair.
Here’s a list of tips for getting motivated, so you can get up off the couch and out the door.
*This post may contain affiliate links.*
1. Sign up for a race. Choosing a race a few months in the future gives you a goal that you have to (and hopefully end up wanting to) work for. After all, you’re paying good money to register, so you don’t want that to go to waste! So find a fun or challenging race and then write out your training plan. Stick it on the wall and start checking those workouts off!
2. Join a running club. Running clubs make running fun and social. Plus, there’s usually some type of hangout afterwards…tacos and beer, perhaps? To find a running club near you, Google “local running clubs” or search this list on the Road Runners’ website.
3. Schedule your run with a friend. Hitting the snooze button on your 6:00 A.M. run might be tempting if you’re running solo, but committing to run with a friend makes it harder to bail. Enjoy the time to chat, plan, and get a workout in.
4. Read a book or watch a movie about running. Maybe the stories of other runners overcoming obstacles or winning a race will inspire you. Here’s a list of the latest running documentaries to watch or if you’d rather read, how about this one?
5. Figure out a reward for yourself. The old “dangling a carrot” trick…decide on a reward ahead of time. If you complete your training plan all week, you’ve earned it!